Training will commence at the start of the track and field season. There will be a significant amount of communication either on social media or announcements throughout Saturday competition and at training. Relays provide a great opportunity for all athletes to participate in team events. Relays allow athletes to form lasting friendships and develop a sense of teamwork, whilst athletes enjoy competing in teams and cheering on club mates as well as the parents and coaching team.
Cranbourne has a strong history in relays with many teams qualifying for the State Relay Championship.
If you would like your child to participate in any upcoming relay competitions, please speak to one of the coaching team. Each athlete can be nominated in a maximum of 4 events only.
Important to note that we cannot run a successful Relay Program without parent involvement.
- If you nominate your child for Regional relays, your child must be available to compete at States, in the event their team qualifies in;
- If your child participates at a relay day, parents are required to undertake a parent duty as nominated by CLAC; and
- All athletes must participate in full CLAC uniform, which is inclusive of LAVic’s current sponsorship badging on the athletes top and authorised LAVic coloured shorts.
The relay events on offer to the athletes are as follows:-
Regional and State offer the following events for U9 – U15:
- Girls & Boys – 4×100, 4×200, Medley (2×100, 1×200, 1×400)
- Mixed Gender – 4×100, 4×200
- Mixed Age Medley U9-U11 (1 x U9, 1 x U10, 2 x U11) – 2×100, 1×200, 1×400
- Mixed Age Medley U12-U13 (2 x U12, 2 x U13) – 2×100, 1×200, 1×400
- Mixed Age Medley U14-U15 (2 x U14, 2 x U15) – 2×100, 1×200, 1×400
Relay Selection Criteria
If you have expressed interest in competing in relays, the relay squad will consist of athletes in any given gender / age group that have committed to training and competition days. A relay team consists of 4 members per team. Team selections may be selected following the below criteria: –
- To select teams with the best potential for progression to the State Championships with ultimately the ability to secure a State final position, and
- To progress as many athletes as possible equal with the athletes abilities.
The selection is based on the following criteria (in order):
- The athletes best performance (for the current season) over the relay distances on offer, (100, 200 & 400m);
- The athletes’ proficiency in relay race technique (baton exchange and change over);
- The athletes attitude and being a ‘team’ member; and
- The athletes attendance at training.
The final selection of each squad will be determined by the coaching team.